Friday, February 01, 2008

How to Describe My Work


IMG_0880.JPG
Originally uploaded by wildwoman creations

Someone I had just met for the first time asked "what do I create?" I was at a loss for words to describe it. I remember having a customer in the shop. She was from back east. She described my work as "not mainstream" and perhaps would speak to 1 in 10 persons. That came to mind and off I went to search the words "main stream" What I came up with was "Avant-Garde" the concept of avant-garde refers exclusively to marginalised artists, writers, composers and thinkers whose work is not only opposed to mainstream commercial values, but often has an abrasive social or political edge and I read on....has historically been opposed to "high" or "mainstream culture", and also rejects the artificially synthesized mass culture that has been produced by industrialization, a culture driven by profit-fixated motives and not ideals of true art. So...it's true!!! there is such a thing as starving artists especially if their work is avant-garde. True advant-garde creativity is distanced from the market-driven fashion change and superficial stylistic innovation that are sometimes used to claim privileged status for these manufactured forms of consumer culture. Oh my God....not only am I advant-garde....I'm a Communist tooo.....(tongue in cheek folks)

1 comment:

Dreamcicle Journeys said...

Hi Rosie, Thanks for your comments on my blog and I hope to meet you at Art & Soul. Your art and musings on life are very inspirational. Paula